More from Grits & Gravy

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A Trip to Greenville, South Carolina

A few weeks ago, I traveled to Greenville, South Carolina for E and Matt's wedding. The trip doubled as a good opportunity to check out a new town and see my cohort family.

Luckily for me, the wedding fell on my spring break so I took an extra day off to lounge by the pool with Mallory contemplating life and soaking up the sunshine. I even fit in a fabulous yoga class and got to bed early. All of my relaxing must have gotten the best of me because I kicked off my trip to Greenville with a lot of excitement. While driving to the airport, I thought that I should check my flight itinerary. Much to my surprise, I had misread the departure time the night before and only had an hour to get to the airport.  Somehow I arrived at the airport 15 minutes before departure and was able to park my car and make it to check-in just in time for them to walk me through security and to my gate. I owe a big thank you to Allegiant for saving my trip to the wedding! 

Once I recovered from the hurried nature of my departure, the bonding began...

Jeff and Travis picked me up from the airport and we had a good catch up chat on our lives. Mags and Hayden arrived soon thereafter and we were off to drinks and supper. The first night, we enjoyed a meal at the Blue Ridge Brewing Company. The food was delicious and while I did not partake in the beer, my fellow diners seemed to enjoy their brews. I was especially amused by the kegerator in use outside of the restaurant.


Unfortunately for the restaurant, they seemed to be having a plumbing issue which resulted in puddles of gross toilet water in the restrooms. As any good group of student affairs professionals would, this little issue turned into a risk management conversation until we caught ourselves and realized that we were, in fact, not on duty. Clearly, we were trained well in our graduate program.

After supper we wandered into another little bar downtown called The Trappe Door, which had a fine selection of wine and beer. We were most impressed by their stunning decor. Their menus were even bound in this gorgeous red leather.



After strolling through downtown, we caught up with the Bride and Groom at one of their favorite spots for more drinks, games and catching up.




After a successful first night in Greenville, we awoke to the celebration of St. Patrick's Day. We observed the holiday with the traditional green beer and burgers at the Carolina Ale House. The restaurant had a great outdoor patio section which we thoroughly enjoyed.



After our fun afternoon exploring the city, we attended the wedding and reception and then proceeded to have more fun with the newlyweds. We danced, and danced, and danced some more. Just like old times!

Wobble!

No idea!

Love!

Getting It!

J House Stroll

On Sunday morning, we enjoyed a delicious breakfast at Coffee Underground. This little place was quite the find. The coffee shop was quaint with walls that were filled with local art. The furniture was old and worn but added to the charm of the place. We enjoyed a delicious breakfast from their menu which had a great range of options. And, they serve pancakes as an appetizer to brunch - what could go wrong with this place?

Greenville certainly set the stage for a great reunion and I could definitely spend another weekend in this sweet little town. Until the next cohort shindig...

No comments: