More from Grits & Gravy

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Portrait of a Leading Lady

"I am fairly certain that given a cape and nice tiara, I could save the world"

When I was a teenager I eagerly awaited the newest edition of Cosmopolitan magazine. As Elle Woods stated, it was like the Bible. My favorite issue featured the newly named Fun, Fearless Female of that year. I found the women they selected to be fascinating and was always curious to learn a bit more about these ladies who led such public lives yet dedicated a good portion of their time to more than the latest fad.

The title 'Fun, Fearless Female' has been a fond reference for many of the women in my life. I like the essence it captures and how it does not ask for permission for women to celebrate how they are fabulous. Award show season led me to think about the stars in my life because we are all the 'it girl' in our own right. Over the next couple of months, I will be featuring a few of the leading ladies that I have encountered in my life along the way.

I hope that you enjoy learning a bit more about these women and take a few moments to celebrate how you are a leading lady or man in your own life. Feel free to offer suggestions of women to be featured!

"She was perfectly comfortable being exceptional and she didn't mind telling him about it either"

No comments: