More from Grits & Gravy

Monday, October 4, 2010

Happy Birthday!

Some of my Arkansas Family who joined me for dinner


I never understand why people dread their birthdays and getting older. My birthday pretty much gets better every year and this one was no exception. My day started with 6:30am calls from the parents, not sure why they thought I would be up so early but I have to admit that it was great to get to talk with them before the busy day began.

At work, I had a beautiful sign made by the lovely ladies who work at our front desk, a delivered pumpkin spiced latte from Kayln, balloons and oreos from Justin, and Chase made me an extra special red velvet cake with cinnamon cream cheese frosting. Ms. Jean and Ms. Jody made me pumpkin cakes and my awesome students bought me the polkadot blanket I have long been desiring from the bookstore. I got to have lunch with Angela and then Justin delivered my second delicious pumpkin spiced latte of the day! I mean, what can go wrong with all of these delicious treats?

Momma and Doug got me a ticket to see Wicked and the Morgan Fam got me this crazy cool Owl stained glass lamp which I am loving to death. I got showered with all of my favorite things... stationary, pumpkin candles, funky jewelry, and a sea of Starbucks cards. I really enjoyed the calls from family and friends, especially my extra special birthday message from Ella.

I decided to celebrate my birthday yesterday because, well, all my pals work in student affairs and it is impossible to find a night during the week that we do not have meetings. Justin made me an extra special birthday dessert... red velvet pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting. Have you ever heard of such a thing? I simply could not get enough of it!

Being so far away from home, it was great to be reminded of the family I have here in Arkansas. Families take many different forms and I am so lucky to be so loved and living such a blessed life. Thank you to everyone who made my day so special!

No comments: