More from Grits & Gravy

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Summer Couscous

One of my favorite summer dishes is couscous. This dish is light, fresh and is ready in a matter of minutes. Let's be honest, I live in the south and it is way too hot to be cooking a super involved dish in the heat. I enjoy this dish hot or cold so you could use it as a side, main course or in place of a salad when entertaining.

I use Near East's packaged couscous which can be found in most grocery stores. I have not yet attempted to make my own couscous but it's on my list.

Ingredients:
1 package of Near East Couscous
1 1/4 cups of chicken broth
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 bunch of fresh basil
1/2 cup of snow peas
1/2 cup of fresh asparagus
1/2 cup of red bell pepper
Optional: Grilled chicken and/or other veggies

To prepare the couscous, combine the chicken broth, olive oil and season packet (if one is included). Bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and cover for 5 minutes. Using a fork, gently fluff couscous. Chop all of your veggies and combine with couscous.




Note: I prefer for my veggies to be raw so that there is a little crunch in my dish. You could roast or steam them if you would prefer them to be cooked.

Serve immediately or refrigerate.

Fun Fact: Couscous is considered one of the healthier grains and is a good source for protein and potassium.

Happy Eating!

No comments: