More from Grits & Gravy

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bring on the Books.....


"Keep the old coat and buy the new book"

I have a ritual of creating a list of the books I want to read for the upcoming year. Thanks to my book club, I carved out a lot of time to read last year and I found it thoroughly enjoyable and good for my soul. I am looking forward to the pages that await me....

Please leave suggestions or tell me what is on your list.

2011 Reading List

Big Girls Don't Cry: The Election that Changed Everything for American Women
Mockingbird: A Portrait of Harper Lee
Emily Post's Biography
Social Intelligence
The Fixer Upper
Magnolia Wednesdays
Living Out Loud
The Summer We Read Gatsby
Hunger Game Series
"Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?"
Look Me in the Eye: My Life With Asperger's
Scout, Atticus, and Boo
Little Earthquakes
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Traveling with Pomegranates: A Mother-Daughter Story
The books that my wonderful Book Club ladies choose

If you are looking for some ideas for your reading list, here are a few that continue to top my list:
The Help
Pride & Prejudice
To Kill A Mockingbird
The Best Day of Someone Else's Life
I Never Fancied Him Anyway
In A Different Voice
Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy
Uglies, Pretties, and Specials - Scott Westerfield Series
Hip Tranquil Chick
You Are Your Choices
The Art and Power of Being a Lady
The Southern Lady: From Pedestals to Politics
Girls in Trucks
Good in Bed & Certain Girls
Love Walked In
All Jennifer Crusie, Pamela Morsi, and Mary Kay Andrews... they are a wonderful guilty pleasure
The Mermaid Chair
Water for Elephants
Slowing Down to the Speed of Life

"To read is to fly: it is to soar to a point of vantage which gives a view over wide terrains of history, human variety, ideas, shared experience and the fruits of many inquiries."

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Have you read "The Passage" by Justin Cronin? Great read. I have about a zillion more recs if you want to hear them, or you can look at my GoodReads list :)

Jessica said...

John read Pride and Predjudice and Zombies. He loved it.