More from Grits & Gravy

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Turkey Meatballs


One of my favorite "make ahead of the week" dishes is my Turkey Meatballs. They are so easy and can be enjoyed multiple ways. Sometimes I make double and freeze half - they store really well. I enjoy these yummy things on salads for lunch, in soups, with pasta and sauce, or with a side of veggies.

Turkey Meatballs
1 lb ground turkey
1 cup of skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 egg
1 cup breadcrumbs (I swap regular breadcrumbs for Panko crumbs)
Pinch of oregano, salt, and pepper
Note: I often add chopped bell pepper and purple onion for added veggies and flavor

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine ingredients in mixing bowl. Heat pan with olive or canola oil to medium heat. Shape meatballs and them in pan for 10-15 minutes, until browned on all sides. Hint: I use an ice cream scooper for consistency in size and less mess. Careful not to put in too many meatballs because your pan will lose its heat.

Once all of the meatballs have been browned, place on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Bake in the oven for 15-20 miniutes, until done. Serve immediately or let cool to freeze.


Enjoy!


No comments: