More from Grits & Gravy

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Musings of a Student Affairs Professional

When I chose, or more likely answered my fate, to go into Student Affairs I knew why I loved the field and had to be a part of it but I was surprised by how passionate I could be about the issues that my students cared about. Thank goodness Ed picked me to be the GA for student government because it has become one of the areas I love most about this work.

Student Affairs is not always easy but the hardest days are always triumphed by incredible moments with your students - they achieve a new goal or they breakthrough something that leads to a bit more self understanding and I say, oh yes! This is why it is worth it when I am tired or have not seen my family in months. Lucky for me, these really great moments happen far more often than the hard days.

Tonight, we swore in Senators and Cabinet members and I felt so filled with excitement to see where they would take their year. The road will not always be easy but the payoff is huge. Off the 100ish students who hold positions in ASG, I get to work closely with the 6 person Executive Committee (pictured below) - they are phenomenal and I am so happy to be able to share in this time with them! To all of the new Senators and Cabinet members - Welcome to the ASG Family, I know you are going to rock it!


No comments: