More from Grits & Gravy

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

the fault in our stars: a review

For the past few weeks, I have been reading The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. When I love a book I do this thing where I avoid the end of it by putting it down for days so it won't be over, and this book was certainly no exception. I didn't even read the last page half way through, which I also do (weird, I know), because I didn't want anything to be given away.

I started reading this novel because one of my favorite book lovers, Erica, kept raving about it. Then I became the girl tweeting quotes non-stop, telling everyone about Augustus and Hazel Grace, and kind of obsessing about these two characters. Yes, I am aware this is not a real, but when I am thinking about a story while laying in bed, well, that is the sign of a stellar read.

The book is centered on two main teenage characters, Augustus and Hazel Grace. They meet through a cancer support group as they both have had or are being treated for cancer. As you read, their story together unfolds, and you are forced to face the brutality of cancer and the depth of love. At times, I felt like I was intruding in on a moment between two people that I didn't have to the right to see. The strength of John Green's writing is capturing that window and creating a place for the reader in that space. Some pages I fought to get through and others I lingered on a little longer.

The Fault in Our Stars is not an overly romantic, unattainable love story that will give you false expectations. Augustus and Hazel are different people. They don't agree on most things. And yet, there is an acceptance and admiration for who the other person is. Not obsessive or lustful, just honest. It is a story about how I think we all deserve to be seen and loved, for who we are in our most stripped down versions.

Reading this, you'll find you want more time with the characters and you'll want to thank John Green for the privilege.

No comments: