More from Grits & Gravy

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A Sailing Adventure


Mallory and I set sail on a beautiful fall morning in Tampa. In the spring, we purchased a groupon for a half day sailing trip. I thought it would just be a fun little morning outing and it turned out to be one of my favorite days this fall.

We woke up early and headed to Tarpon Springs, a cute little Greek touristy town about an hour outside of Tampa, to begin our adventure. On our drive down, we enjoyed some Starbucks and chatted up a storm as we caught up on the happenings in our lives.

Upon arriving, we learned that Atlantis V Charters is a foundation that provides free sailing lessons for youth programs and children with special needs. Their charter services support their endeavors in the community. The captains and crew even donate their time. Mallory and I especially enjoyed learning that our fun adventure on the water also supported a great program.



The morning air was a bit chilly which I found to be perfect! There is something great about being snuggled up, all warm, with the cool breeze blowing and the smell of the ocean all around you. Once out on the water, we sailed out to a little island where we were able to get off the the boat to peruse for seashells and soak up the sunshine. After a few hours on the beach, we got back on board for a sunny ride into shore.

The funniest part of our trip was learning that my pal, Mallory, has a bit more of an obsession with Disney than I had previously realized. I became aware of this as she recounted Finding Nemo to me, scene by scene, hoping to jog my memory of her favorite movie. Being the non-Disney person that I am (I know, my poor kids!), I got a good laugh out of this. I mean, she knows the movie literally in scene sequence - its kind of impressive, really!

After our sail, we enjoyed a fabulous lunch at Rusty Bellies, a great local restaurant. I had some yummy grouper with black beans and yellow rice. Their menu is great and they serve delish hush puppies in a brown paper bag instead of the traditional bread basket, an added touch that I especially enjoyed.


View from the Rusty Bellies patio

After lunch, we decided to do a little shopping in downtown Tarpon Springs where we found a few little treasures. Having been bitten by the shopping bug, we decided to spend the rest of the afternoon at a local outdoor mall. We even had an afternoon treat of frozen yogurt topped with goodies.


The whole day was just perfect. We decompressed, soaked up the sunshine, got in some shopping, and spent some good, quality time together. If you are looking for an adventure to plan one weekend, definitely check out Atlantis V Charters (Warning: You'll need to book at least 2 months in advance!).

Bon Voyage! 


2 comments:

Jessica said...

I can't believe you don't remember Finding Nemo!!! The first time I ever saw it was sitting on our couch at the townhouse with Bob (I think). Crazy!!!

Jessica Fitzgerald said...

I know, I know!