More from Grits & Gravy

Thursday, July 26, 2012

thirty before thirty update


I am two months out from my big thirtieth birthday. This last year in my twenties has been one of the best years. While most people dread this milestone, I have been thrilled and celebrating all along the way. There is just something about turning the big 3-0! I feel more settled into who I am and more aware of myself. And I'm looking forward to what the next decade will bring.

Two years ago, I set a Thirty Before Thirty list as an intentional way to experience some of those things that had been lingering on my bucket list. That remains one of my most read posts to date so I thought that it was only fair to provide an update on my progress.

1. Get up earlier
Concert in the Park
2. Enjoy more live music
3. Carve out more time for friends
4. Go to an educational conference
5. Have long dinners full of conversation
6. Be less busy and more present 
My little reading nook
7. Have a creative outlet
8. Spend more time being a tourist in my own town
Downtown Tampa
9. Start saving for the cottage house on the lake
10. Stay out until the sun comes up *While I didn't stay out, I did stay up until sunrise so I think that counts - it was a memorable night for sure!
11. Spend more time being quiet
12. Buy a red peacot
13. Go to a yoga retreat *I have not made it to a retreat but I have been practicing yoga so regularly that my body is thanking me. I have even squeezed in a few training workshops throughout the year to deepen my practice.
Yogi workshop
14. Read Jane Austen's collected works *In progress
15. Take a Cake Decorating class *I set this up for me and all of my friends but then had to work, bummer!
16. Continue taking the right next step
17. Pay off my credit card and car *So close!
18. Read Atlas Shrugged *Probably not happening before my birthday but keeping this one on the list for things to do when I'm 30
19. Decorate my Christmas tree in my own style
20. Find the perfect pair of jeans
21. Be in a book club
My Arkansas Book Club
22. Take a creative writing class *I just sort of abandoned this one, exploring other things.
23. Apply to a PhD program *I decided to wait a bit on this one. Mostly because I am just having too much fun and not quite ready to commit.
24. Explore moving closer to family
25. Take better care of my body
Ran my first 5k!
26. Have a Reunion with Chi O Pledge Class *Joined the local alumnae chapter where I see most of my pledge sisters on a regular basis
27. Subscription to a local theater
28. Get rid of excess stuff
29. Redecorate Bedroom - Halfway!
30. Celebrate 30 in Greece! - Planned for Summer of 2013.. YIPEE!

The thing I've learned these past two years since I wrote my Thirty Before Thirty post is that there are so many adventures waiting on you. Stop saying one day and get out and do those things! 


1 comment:

b|rad said...

How inspiring! So glad you've been able to complete so many of the things on your list. And GREECE!? So jealous!